Humber Bridge – Expansion Joint Replacement
The Sollinger Hutte expansion joints were reaching the end of their life expectancy. Humber Bridge Board (HBB), recognising these works’ difficulty, used the YORcivil framework to procure a Main Contractor to manage the whole works package.
- To replace the existing Sollinger Hutte expansion joints with a new Design & Build replacement.
- Clean out Guarno from Barton end void
- Protection to existing services around the joint during the works
- Scaffold erection & dismantle to both abutments, to provide access to joint undersides
- Temporary Cover Plate installation & removal (enabling night-time works, meaning the bridge remained fully open during the day).
- Removal of bolts and deck weld securing the existing joints
- Cutting and removal in sections of existing joints
- Hydro-demolition of concrete abutment to remove existing joint boxes
- Provision of Water Tankers for water and disposal during hydro-demolition works.
- Preparation and installation of new rebar in the cleared abutment recess
- Design, manufacture and installation of new expansion joints.
- Noise monitoring throughout the works.
- Tarmac planing & re-surfacing to carriageway either side of joint, including new ‘nosings’
- Bridge deck waterproofing
- New anti-skid surfacing & road markings
- Works completed successfully on time and within budget.
Stakeholders (HBB, bridge users, local residents)
Local residents were informed of and updated on the works with letters/door-to-door visits.
We worked closely with HBB and their design consultant to deliver a full design & build solution exceeding all key stakeholders’ expectations, with minimal disruption to bridge users/operations.
Challenges & Solutions
- Keeping the bridge open – Our USP was our ‘cover plates’ solution, allowing night-time works, using only part closures and ‘contraflow’ traffic management. Daytime operations continued as normal
- Installing the joint in 2 halves (Northbound/Southbound) – we offered a design & build jointing solution to connect the 2 halves in the middle.
- Bad Weather – we were required to use our expertise working in all weather conditions.
- Noise Control – we offered specialist containment to reduce noise, especially given the use of Hydro-demolition and night-time works (9pm – 5am)
The Difference We Made
- Completion of all works without the need to close the bridge once
- Full design & build solution successfully implemented
- Providing another 40-50 years lifetime to these critical structural elements, creating a bridge that is safer for all to use.
Humber Bridge – Side Span Expansion Joint Replacement
|Client:||Humber Bridge Board|
|Location:||Kingston Upon Hull|
|Contract Value:||£2.2 million|
|Contract Period:||24 weeks (2 x 12 week phases)|