Infrastructure Works, Thoresby Colliery
Harworth Estates required an experienced Principal Contractor to carry out phase one infrastructure works for their regeneration of Thoresby Colliery intro residential and business developments. This was a highly significant scheme, rejuvenating a disused site and bringing many jobs to the local area.
- Section 38 works – constructing a spine road to give access to the building site
- Section 278 works – alterations and realignment to existing highways
- Deep drainage works, including installation of attenuation tanks
- Associated earthworks, landscaping and sewer works
Proactive and consistent communication with local stakeholders was crucial to the success of this project. Numerous businesses were operating close to our site, so it was imperative that we listened to their concerns and sought to minimise disruption wherever possible.
Challenges and Solutions
- Retaining access for businesses – As aforementioned, after listening to the concerns of local businesses, we prioritised the need to retain their access to their locations close to our site. We therefore planned thoroughly, and our Construction Phase Plan sought to carefully phase our works in order to minimise disruption to businesses. Furthermore, we constructed an access road, with associated traffic islands and road widening, to facilitate easy access to the site throughout the project.
Challenges and Solutions (continued)
- Working among live traffic – As the site is adjacent to a busy road, we had to operate beside live traffic throughout the project. Our priority, as always, was ensuring the safety of our colleagues and the general public. After liaising closely with our Client and local authorities, our Construction Phase Plan ensured that works were phased effectively to work around times of increased traffic
- COVID-19 restrictions and nationwide lockdown – The national lockdown inevitably posed a challenge to the project. Ensuring the safety of all concerned was our priority. We continued to operate during the lockdown in a sensitive and cautious manner. Our highly trained, dedicated in-house team took extra precautions to ensure all works were carried out safely, whilst guaranteeing that we stuck to our final schedule.
We completed this phase of this exciting development on time, and within budget. We stayed within our revised budget, despite being instructed late in the works to install additional access to the site, to give access for show homes and house builders on the development.
The Difference We Made
We completed phase one infrastructure works for this scheme, which will bring a substantial injection to the local economy. We carried out the works safely, efficiently and to an excellent standard, leaving our Client delighted with our adaptable and open approach to the project.
|Location:||Thoresby Colliery, Nottinghamshire|
|Contract Period:||59 weeks, ending 2020|