Siemens Enabling Works Package, Goole
We were appointed as Principal Contractor for this project, through a competitive tender process. These enabling works formed part of a wider £200m scheme at Siemens' projected train factory in Goole, and we were delighted to welcome Prime Minister Boris Johnson for a site visit.
- Design and construction of a hardstanding for temporary offices
- Construction of a new car park, including entrances and exits
- Construction of new cycle path and footpaths
- Surface water and foul drainage for the temporary offices and car park
- New fence lines, gates and site signage
- Installation of ducts, chambers and pop-ups for incoming power, water and data services
As the existing operational Siemens site is extremely busy, it was imperative that we liaised proactively with the Client and local stakeholders to maintain pedestrian and vehicular access at all times. After extensive discussions with stakeholders, we planned to phased works carefully in order retain access to the site throughout the project.
Stringent traffic and pedestrian management systems were also implemented to ensure the safety of the general public.
Challenges and Solutions
- Adverse weather conditions – A significant constraint arose from the poor weather conditions experienced during the project. Heavy rainfall caused extensive flooding on site. We subsequently made sump holes for excess water to run into, in order to suitably prepare for future wet weather
- Security concerns – Due to the local significance of this Siemens development and the publicity around it, an extensive security presence was required across the contract period. After liaising closely with our Client, we ensured that tight security was maintained across the site throughout the project
Owing to our collaborative approach with our Client and stakeholders throughout, all works were completed to an excellent standard.
Furthermore, despite the project delays caused by flooding and the COVID-19 pandemic, all works were completed promptly. Owing to a Client delay with permits, we had to change our methods to operate offline only. We reacted proactively to mitigate the potential delays by deploying our resources efficiently within small groups offline.
The Difference We Made
We completed crucial enabling works that will allow the next stage of this exciting development to proceed. This £200m development of a train factory will bring substantial benefits to the local economy, and we are delighted to have repeat business with Siemens on this exciting project.
Enabling Works Package
|Contract Period:||31 weeks, ending December 2020|