Widening of Junction, North Killingholme
We were appointed as Principal Contractor by our Client, ABLE UK, to reconfigure an existing 3 way junction into a 4 arm roundabout in North Killingholme, North Lincolnshire.
- Phase 1 – We constructed a new road offline, allowing the existing junction to operate
- Phase 2 & 3 – We constructed corners of the roundabout whilst continuing to keep the junction open
- Phase 4 – We resurfaced the junction under a road closure, but did so at night to minimise disruption
- Associated drainage and earthworks were also completed
Due to the importance of the existing junction as an access point to the local industrial estate and port, proactive liaison with stakeholders was imperative for this project. We liaised with our Client and local stakeholders throughout, thus ensuring that we operated in a sympathetic manner and kept the junction operational as much as was practically possible. Close coordination was also required with statutory undertakers.
Challenges and Solutions
- Protecting gas main pipeline – The presence of a Uniper 20″ gas main pipeline running adjacent to the site posed a challenge to the project. As part of our collaborative approach, we worked closely with Uniper, who required a watching brief throughout. We ensured that no excavations would take place nearby in order to safeguard the pipeline, which is crucial to the local area
Challenges and Solutions (continued)
- Diverting existing services – The works could not be completed without the temporary diversion of existing electrical and telecommunication services. In addition to our Construction Phase Plan, we liaised closely with local authorities and telecommunication companies in order to minimise potential disruption, and we diverted the services accordingly
Through consistent communication and a collaborative approach, we completed this project comfortably within schedule and budget. We successfully carried out the works whilst keeping the roads, gas pipeline and communications services largely running as normal throughout.
The Difference We Made
We successfully enhanced this junction to a key industrial estate and port, and the new road will form an important part of ABLE UK’s exciting development in the area. We considered all parties in this sensitive environment and our Client and stakeholders were delighted with our cohesive approach.
Widening of existing junction
|Location:||North Killingholme, North Lincolnshire|
|Contract Period:||25 weeks, ending March 2020|